pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Filter for old articles in group

From: Dag Ringdal
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Filter for old articles in group
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 22:15:35 +0100

Ok. I found the options for expiring articles on the server. Yes, and two weeks are a little to long for my needs. Where do I find the servers.xml, and can it be edited with gedit?

dagr

2008/11/9 Duncan <address@hidden>
Dag Ringdal <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 09 Nov 2008
20:53:27 +0100:

> I'm looking for an easy way to filter away old articles i an updated
> newsgroup. I haven't found this option in the newsreader, maybe I
> haven't looked closely enough?

Expire?  That's set per server, for some reason I haven't quite figured
out yet, particularly since that leaves it ambiguous if you follow the
same group on two servers that both have it, but are set to different
expires.  (FWIW, it seems to take the lower of the two, at least for
messages that show up on both.)

So it's set in the news server config dialogs.

Note also that if you edit the servers.xml file directly, you have far
more flexibility in the expire time, since you can set an arbitrary
number of days.  The pan GUI only has a few choices.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman