pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Keyboard Shortcut Question

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Keyboard Shortcut Question
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:08:25 +0000 (UTC)

Kevin Monceaux <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:54:10 -0600:

> I finally made the switch from TUI based(I used SLRN for quite a few
> years and then TIN for a little while) to pan.  I've found keyboard
> shortcuts for almost everything I frequently do, except for searching.
> Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch the focus between the article
> list to the Subject or Author search box, and/or a keyboard shortcut to
> clear the Subject or Author search box?

You should be right at home with pan's scorefile setup if you used slrn!
=:^)

Pan's keyboard accels are fairly flexible -- they are actually dumped to
an accels.txt file (in pan's data dir, ~/.pan2 by default, or set by the
PAN_HOME environmental variable) which you can edit if you like (with pan
closed, naturally), altho it's an unsorted dump and will return to that
when pan exits, so you must either use your text editor's search
functionality or copy it to another file, sort that, and copy it back
every time you make changes.

That said, the accels are limited to pretty much what's in the menus.  As
there's no menu entries for searching, there's no accels for the search
boxes (said without double-checking, but IIRC).  I believe the idea is
that people aren't expected to be using them for their ordinary task
flow, only once in awhile, so taking the time to switch to the mouse for
that, or alternatively, to hit the (shift) tab and arrows the requisite
number of times, shouldn't be a problem.  Note that if you do use the
keyboard navigation, the default text in the box is cleared and anything
you've typed is selected, ready for a single-stroke delete/replace.

If you have so many subscribed groups you have to search on group name,
you should probably consider using multiple instances (as mentioned,
using the PAN_HOME variable to point pan at different settings for
each).  Thus, the only time you'd be expected to use the group search
would be when checking out new groups to possibly subscribe to -- which
shouldn't be that often, once you've setup a subscribed list.

The same general idea applies to the article search.  Since you can click
on a column to sort by it, and you can toggle threaded and view unread
only on and off as necessary and there's score as well to filter and sort
by, it's not like article search should be something you use routinely,
so breaking the flow enough to hit the mouse to select that widget
shouldn't be a big problem.

Or at least that would seem to be the idea.  However, now that you
mention it, having a menu item for each of the two search boxes (either
both under edit, or one each under groups and articles), with a
corresponding accel either default-mapped or mappable, would make
keyboard-only navigation MUCH easier.  I can't see how anyone can well
argue against that, and I expect Charles to be relatively amenable to the
idea as well.  Thus, I'd suggest doing a bugzilla search to see if
there's already a bug open requesting it, and if not, creating one.  In
either case, please post the URL or bug number here and I'll probably CC
myself and comment that I'd like it as well.