pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: compile?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: compile?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 23:52:53 +0000 (UTC)

"Travis" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 07
Dec 2008 13:42:07 -0800:

I have a similar netbook here but haven't really done "anything" with it
yet.  But for compiling, memory size and disk access times can be as
important as CPU speed, and while that PIII-8xx was more or less
comparable speed (slower but more powerful in some ways) and the 512 MB
memory should be comparable, the disk is going to be different,
especially if it's an SSD with its very long write times but decent read
and zero seek times.  Since compiling writes a lot of temp files the
write times could be critical.  But as I said I've really not done much
with mine yet so can't say what the real numbers are.  I'll be putting
Gentoo on it eventually, but will be compiling on my main machine, which
does pan in maybe five minutes (short enough it's not bothersome enough
to have worried about it), so the slower netbook compiling won't bother
me.