pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New Pan problem

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New Pan problem
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 23:39:05 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:12:09
-0800:

> One other, small (I'd think) enhancement that I've been wondering about:
> I'd like to have a Back button, so that I cold go back one post (at a
> time) from where I am.  Sometimes, I'm considering replying, but don't
> want to repeat what somebody else already said.  If I go to the next
> post and it's a long way away, there's no simple way to get back.  Is
> this worth mentioning to Charles, or do you think it's not that useful
> to the average user?

I don't know...

It wouldn't be useful most of the time here, but I do things rather
differently than the default and than many users, I expect, and there are
rare occasions on which it would be /quite/ useful.

One of the things that drove me crazy with the original key bindings was
that I normally want to go to the next article, not the next unread
article.  Fortunately, there's an option in preferences for that, and I
have it set accordingly.

I also have quite a few of the standard keybindings changed. (See
accels.txt in pan's data dir, but note that it's just a dump so it resets
to more or less random order when pan exits, save a copy somewhere and
edit that if you want to sort it, then copy it back over the dump... or
simply use your editor's search functionality if you aren't changing a
whole bunch.)  Among them the next <whatever> entries are all unmodified
(a=article, g=group, t=thread in my scheme, while next unread <whatever>
consistently uses the alt-modifier (so alt-a/g/t), and previous
<whatever> uses the shift-modifier.  Parent article is alt-shift-a.

I normally work with view unread-only toggled on, so next article and
next unread article would be the same thing.  However, I also added a
binding to that toggle (r=read/unread toggle), so I can toggle that as
needed as well.

With it setup that way, and since I don't normally jump around that much,
I'm normally fine without a back function (previous article or parent
article, along with the read/unread toggle and using the uparrow key,
work reasonably well).

Once in awhile it would be handy, tho, and it would probably be handy for
the less technically inclined and users who view all, not unread-only,
most of the time, but use next-unread for default navigation.  Making it
simpler for the less technically inclined should appeal to Charles... but
of course that has to be weighed against both code and UI complexity.
Too many buttons isn't simpler for the less technically inclined!  Of
course as usual with free/libre and open source, if someone with the
talent cares enough to implement the code as a patch, its chances to
appear in pan in anything like a reasonable timeframe go up dramatically.