pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan and Ubuntu updates: Heads up

From: darren
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan and Ubuntu updates: Heads up
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 18:50:19 -0800

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 00:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Duncan <address@hidden>
wrote:
> Rick Barry <address@hidden>
> posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on
> Wed, 24 Dec 2008 05:19:02 -0800:
>
>> I recently ran my update manager in Ubuntu 8.04. I installed 20 odd
>> "security" updates. Now PAN 0.132 will no longer import NZB files. Doing
>> so simply shuts the program down.
>
> So they patched the problem by patching out the ability to import
> *.nzbs... /only/ about five months after most reasonable distributions
> patched it using upstream's patch of the real problem, and four months
> plus since upstream released 0.133 including its patch.
>
> Or maybe they didn't update pan at all (the OP didn't say pan was
> updated), but rather one of its libraries... with an incompatible
> version...

<snip>

Yes I think the problem is something different, I don't seem to be having
this issue though to be honest the few times I used NZB files I have
switched to LottaNZB rather than use Pan since Pan is limited in the use of
NZB's.   I tried a NZB file on my 8.04 system and my 8.10 system and it
worked on both.  Pan is still my choice for general newsreading though.

Looking through the updates from this Month in Hardy I don't see a likely
culprit.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2008-December/thread.html

I am not sure why Hardy has not been updated to have the fix but I will
make a note on my calendar to poke around next week and see why it didn't
but the version in Intrepid /DOES/ have this fix.   It was synched from
Debian back in July and the fix for this went into Debian in June:

Here is the Changelog from the version in Intrepid:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/p/pan/pan_0.132-3.1ubuntu1/changelog

You will see that the fix hit about 14 days after it hit Debian.

I am not an Ubuntu fanboy but I want to avoid people thinking something
hateful of it that isn't valid.  ;-)