pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problems unraring archives downloaded with PAN.

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problems unraring archives downloaded with PAN.
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:13:19 +1100

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:35:18 am apebrigade wrote:

> Hi.  I am hoping this is the correct place to raise this problem!

Probably not. What makes you think it is a problem with Pan?

> I use PAN to connect to Giganews and use .NZB files to locate the
> files. PAN seems to be working correctly and downloading all of rar
> files correctly.  My problem comes when I try to unrar the archive as
> it is split into many files.
>
> I have tried:
>
> unrar x /filename /
>
> This brings up a dialog where I can see the files contained within
> the archive,

Really? How curious. The only Linux program I know of called "unrar" is
a command line program. It runs from the command line and doesn't have
any such dialog.

> but when I try to extract them they do not appear in the
> target folder.  It fails to extract the files for some reason.  I
> have tried this on my windows machine using "newsbin" and this works
> fine, so I believe that files are not corrupt.

There you go then. Pan is successfully downloading the rar files. The
problem lies elsewhere -- possibly unrar is broken, possibly you have a
permissions issue, possibly a PEBKAC error.

> Has anyone seen this before?  My giganews is ssl encrypted could this
> be the problem?

Obviously not, because the files are downloaded successfully.

> Any advice would be appreciated!

What error message does unrar give when you try to extract the files?

It's been three days since you asked this question, there have been a
whole bunch of replies, and not a word from you. Is this a drive-by
post? (Asking a question and then don't hang around for the answer.) I
suppose if it is, you probably won't reply to this either.

--
Steven D'Aprano