pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] So, what's left before 1.0?

From: Alan Meyer
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] So, what's left before 1.0?
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 9/29/09, Charles Kerr <address@hidden> wrote:

> Other than the GMime update to fix multipart messages -- which
> is already in K Haley's repo -- are there any honest-to-God
> showstoppers left?  Not feature requests, tweaks, or whatnot,
> but things that would actually prevent Pan 1.0 from finally,
> finally coming out...?

Charles,

I haven't tried this on the latest version of Ubuntu but on
version 8.04 and 8.10 there is some kind of daemon running for
"Assistive Technologies".

On the gnome menu, we see:

    System / Preferences / Assistive Technologies

with a checkbox for "Enable Assistive Technologies", which is
checked by default.

On my system having that box checked caused Pan to spend as much
as six hours loading a very large newsgroup from memory, and
catching up a week or so worth of headers.  Unchecking the box
reduced the time to a minute or two.

I have not seen any other software on my system interact with the
"Assistive Technologies" in that way.  I'm guessing that Pan does
something unusual that runs squarely into a bug in that Assistive
Technologies program.

I have no evidence that the bug is in Pan.  It seems more likely
to be in Assistive Technologies.  Or it may not be a bug in
either, but something to do with Ubuntu.  But if you happen to
know what's happening and why, you might want to avoid the
problem in the next release, or perhaps document that Assistive
Technologies should be turned off.

Thanks for all your efforts on this very well done program.

    Alan