pan-users

[Pan-users] Segfault setting 0 connections Was: Anyone using a news serv

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Segfault setting 0 connections Was: Anyone using a news server that speaks xzver?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 06:01:40 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 04:54:06 -0800 as excerpted:

> I've been seeing different problem lately when I change a backup server
> from 1 connection to 0 (for testing the primary server):  pan segfaults
> when I exit the edit newsservers dialog box.  I haven't bothered getting
> a backtrace yet but I could if you're interested.

Have you checked (via netstat or the like) to see if there's an existing
connection to that server open when you do that?  Maybe pan isn't
shutting down the existing connection properly.

If that appears to be the problem, does setting pan offline kill the
connections and allow you to set 0 without a segfault?

I have a server set to zero connections here, without crashing, but it
has been set to zero connections for quite some time now, so I'm not
actually setting it that way now.

If the server allows it, you might also check if it does the same thing
going from two (active) connections to one.

As another test, record the address somewhere, and set it to localhost.
Presuming you don't have anything listening on that port, you should be
able to entirely disable servers that way.

I know about the localhost trick as that's the trick I'm using on my ISP's
now defunct newsserv, to keep the old messages around.  I've plenty of
cache and I have expiry set to none (tho I have it set to zero
connections as well, the localhost address is simply to be doubly sure
it's not attempting a connect to the formerly outsourced news servers),
thus effectively archiving the old newsgroups along with their content.

Of course, you can also edit the servers.xml file directly (with pan
closed of course), setting zero connections.  That should work, or I'd be
having problems with my zero-connect server.  But of course that doesn't
fix the segfault issue when trying it from within pan.