pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Segfaults from recent pan2.git

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Segfaults from recent pan2.git
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 12:45:18 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Crawford posted on Wed, 05 Feb 2014 01:39:03 +0000 as excerpted:

> On 04/02/14 01:01, walt wrote:
>> I've been looking for electric fence (efence) and running into 404's
>> everywhere.  Valgrind is easily available, so I'll try to learn how to
>> use it -- results not guaranteed :)
>
> Really? On a typical Debian machine (like Ubuntu) you just install the
> library with:
>
> apt-get install electric-fence
>
> Then edit the make file to add "-lefence" to the library options. For
> example you might end up a line like this:
>
> LIBS = -lrt -lefence

I've never used electric fence but had heard of it.  So this thread had
me checking gentoo for it.  Didn't find it, but did find a "last-rites"
announcement (and subsequent removal from tree) on the gentoo-dev list in
Aug 2009, which mentioned its replacement: duma. (dev-util/duma on
gentoo.)

So try looking for duma (Detect Unintended Memory Access). =:^)

Gentoo has versions 2.5.13 and 2.5.15-r1 (-r1 signifying a gentoo package
bump of the same upstream version).  Based on the gentoo package
changelog, 2.5.15 was introduced in Aug, 2009 (hmm, may not be
coincidental with efence removal), with the -r1 introduced in Apr 2010.

According to the gentoo package, duma upstream is:

http://duma.sourceforge.net

... which lists it as a fork of Bruce Perens' electric fence.  And duma
2.5.15 appears to be the latest version on sourceforge as well. =:^)