pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Ignore author in watched thread

From: David WE Roberts
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Ignore author in watched thread
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:15:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:08:12 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> David WE Roberts posted on Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:31:33 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> I can ignore the author by:
>>
>> (1) Unwatch thread and rescore
>>
>> (2) Ignore author and rescore
>>
>> (3) Watch thread again
>>
>> However this does seem cumbersome.
>>
>> Is there an easier, one click way?
>
> Well, I'd personally describe the following alternative as "easier", but
> it's not one-click, and there's definitely a lot of people who'd beg to
> disagree with my "easier" classification so as they say, YMMV...
>
> FWIW, I tend to prefer editing the scorefile directly... in my favorite
> text-editor. =:^)  That can make for much more efficient scoring and a
> far more orderly setup, as well as eliminating the restrictions of the
> GUI.
>
> Then back in pan I simply hit "s" (which I have hotkey-assigned to the
> edit article's score dialog, I'm not sure if that's default or not), and
> in the resulting edit-score dialog I hit close-and-rescore.
> Alternatively, I simply reenter the group, triggering a rescore that
> way.
<snip>

Thanks - my personal view is that the GUI should remove the need to modify
the score file directly apart from advanced users. Ignoring someone who
posts to a watched thread doesn't seem that advanced.

As with so many things, the rules engine and GUI seem to lack that final
5% - however given the limited developer resource and the general good
functionality of Pan it is hard to grumble convincingly.

One other thing that I think I have noticed  - rules can be limited to one
month, six months or forever.

However I have not seen that rules which have lapsed are cleared out of
the rules file.

This may be a feature (allowing old rules to be re-activated) or a
deficiency which allows uncontrolled growth of the rules file.

For the GUI, I would tend towards the latter.

Still, I am using Pan because I can't find a better alternative.

So curate's egg is still an egg, I suppose. :-)

Cheers

Dave R