pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Score file - Pan 0.140 Windows - obsolete article scores

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Score file - Pan 0.140 Windows - obsolete article scores
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 09:51:11 +0000 (UTC)

David posted on Sat, 13 Aug 2016 12:57:53 +0000 as excerpted:

> Looking at this because scoring rules are beginning to behave strangely
> - for example "Ignore" rules are beginning to be ignored, and "Watch"
> rule disappear when I respond to a watched thread.
>
> My Score file is nearly 200 kB which may or may not be the problem.
>
> Looking at the first few entries of my Score file I can see scoring
> rules to watch articles which are dated back to June 2014.
>
> The articles have long since been deleted automatically.
>
> Is there any reason why these scores are still here, and are not deleted
> when the matching article is deleted?
>
> Alternatively, is there a setting to remove scores when an article
> expires?
>
> I note that the rules have an expiry date of July 2014 (so only valid
> for one month). Is there any "tidy" option to clean out expired "watch"
> scores?
>
> This does seem like the equivalent of a memory leak - continual
> extending of resources without any tidying up.

There's no automatic cleanup... I suppose because it's a simple text file
that (in the absence of anyone coding up a score-janitor routine and
posting it as a patch here or on bugzilla, or doing a pull request) users
are ultimately expected to be able to edit and clean up themselves.

FWIW, I've been using pan for a decade and a half (well, by early next
year) here, and while I do occasionally use pan's GUI to quick-add
scores, I optimize it manually using a text editor, cleaning out expired
scores (tho I keep one or two around for reference if I don't have any
active non-permanent rules) and consolidating unexpiring scores both to
optimize pan's parsing and to keep it clean and easily human readable
over time, so pan's log says I only have seven scoring rules in three
sections... but many of those rules have hundreds of individual condition
lines.