pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan goes rogue and hogs CPUs

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan goes rogue and hogs CPUs
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:06:00 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Brown posted on Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:33:44 -0500 as excerpted:

> Pan 0.141 Fedora 25 64bit AMD 6 core 32 GB RAM
>
> The version of pan that ran under Fedora 14 never had the issue.

Fedora 14 to Fedora 25.  That's quite the gap!

> But with version 0.141, pan likes to hog CPUs.  I normally catch it in
> the resource monitor.  Pan has just been sitting there doing nothing and
> I will see that one CPU goes to 100%.  Eventually it will swap through
> all of the CPUs, keeping one of them at 100%.
>
> In the last case, I started a download and discovered that pan was
> sending two CPUs to 100%. So, I stopped the job and tried to do a normal
> quit. Instead, pan just laughed and wiped the GUI clean.  I had to force
> a quit.

Not a dev, just a (long-time) list regular, and I run gentoo, so don't
know much about fedora-specific stuff, but maybe this will help?

Is that pan gtk2 or gtk3 based?  It's a build-time option and gtk2 has
long been recommended because the gtk3-based version at least used to
have some strange behavior that to my knowledge was never really tracked
down, that just "went away", behaving as expected, when pan was built
against gtk2.

So if fedora's pan is now gtk3-based, you're very possibly seeing some of
that strange behavior...  Try rebuilding against gtk2.

Assuming it's gtk2-based, now...

It has been awhile, but some time ago there were reports of pan going to
100% cpu on a single core, if (IIRC) alli was enabled/running.  I've long
preferred a kde/plasma desktop and thus don't have a full gnome or other
gtk-based desktop installed, and have only a limited understanding of the
various gtk/gnome components, but I believe that's accessibility-
related.  Assuming you don't have a specific reason to enable
accessibility, check your accessibility-related gtk/gnome settings and
ensure they're all off, and that no alli-alike process is running.  With
any luck that turns out to be your issue and it's easily solved. =:^)

Those two are the easy ones so we can hope it's one of those...

Beyond that, there's a fair chance it's a library, not pan itself, so you
might want to post a list of your pan dependency libs and versions.

And the other thing is newer gcc (as I believe fedora usually runs) has
changed some defaults, and pan may not have been patched to handle them
properly yet.  I know some patches toward that end have been merged
recently, but as I run pan built from live-git and updated rather
frequently (generally every week or two, if there have been commits,
which most of the time there aren't, I'm posting with pan via gmane, so
you can see what I'm currently running from my headers, 0.142 with the
specific git commit listed), I tend to forget which commits made it into
specific versions.

Given that you're running a distro supplied build, gcc-update related and
similar bugs would generally be filed as a bug with your distro, which
could file an upstream bug (ideally with a maintainer-developed patch
=:^) as appropriate.