pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] set colours?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] set colours?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:24:55 +0000 (UTC)

Mateusz Viste posted on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:23:03 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:29:03 +0000, David Melik wrote:
>> Hi, this is my first article with Pan.  However, I'd like to be able to
>> control colours more, to set more dark/black when reading/posting on
>> Usenet/etc. at night.  Is there a way? (some don't seem modifiable)
>> Either changing some/all manually, or being able to choose (and write,
>> in Pan!) your own theme would be very helpful.
>
> Isn't this controlled by your desktop's theme?

I'm very much a light-text-on-dark-background person myself, and yes, the
general backgrounds, menu text color, etc, are controlled via (gtk)
desktop color theme.

In fact, many of the (mostly text/foreground) color options pan has are a
result of the originally hard-coded colors being unreadable and thus
unworkable on a generally light-on-dark color theme like mine, when I
(being a long-time pan user, since late 2001 or early 2002) complained as
the various features and thus their in-GUI hard-coded colors were
introduced.

The result is that by now, between the theme colors and the pan-
customizable colors, pretty much every color pan uses is configurable in
one way or another.

FWIW, I'm a kde/plasma desktop user myself, and its color options config
has an option to apply the same theme to non-kde apps as well.  I'm not
sure what other than gtk that applies to, but that's the way I configured
the not-pan-customizable pan colors to my preferred light-on-dark, here.