pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] can't move anything

From: David Chmelik
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] can't move anything
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 10:29:13 -0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:52:29 -0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:
> Duncan posted on Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:06:32 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:
>> David Chmelik posted on Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:43:08 -0700 as excerpted:

>>> No they can't: no longer works, and neither does increasing the
>>> length of the groups pane.
>>
>> Just to be sure, you must drag the lines in the top labels column
>> (where it says subject, author...), not lower in the actual listings
>> (where each message is listed).
>>
>> It still works for me, running pan built from git, updated last night.
>
> Not sure why that GUI method isn't working for you, but...

I don't use git but still can't move anything in last few/couple stable
pan versions (0.154, 0.155, ...) even after deleting preferences.xml
(could move everything in all previous pan versions for 10+ years).

>> The other alternative is to manually edit the preferences.xml file (in
>> ~/.pan2, with pan closed of course).  Make a backup of the file before
>> you edit it just in case you screw up the edit, then open it in a text
>> editor and look for lines like the following (where you replace date
>> with whatever column name you want to change and nnn is the width in
>> pixels, that being the number you'd change):
>>
>> <int name='header-pane-date-column-width' value='nnn'/>

I'm talking about panes and headers.  Headers aren't so important I'd edit
a file to set, but since earlier this year I can no longer increase groups
pane to see longer names, and no longer decrease message pane to see more
article lines.  Since happened on a few stable versions, maybe GTK broke.