pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] can't move anything

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] can't move anything
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:52:29 -0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:06:32 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:

> David Chmelik posted on Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:43:08 -0700 as excerpted:

>>> Headers columns width can be adjusted by dragging the tiny vertical
>>> line between header names. [...]

>> No they can't: no longer works, and neither does increasing the length
>> of the groups pane.
>
> Just to be sure, you must drag the lines in the top labels column (where
> it says subject, author...), not lower in the actual listings (where
> each message is listed).
>
> It still works for me, running pan built from git, updated last night.

Not sure why that GUI method isn't working for you, but...

> The other alternative is to manually edit the preferences.xml file (in
> ~/.pan2, with pan closed of course).  Make a backup of the file before
> you edit it just in case you screw up the edit, then open it in a text
> editor and look for lines like the following (where you replace date
> with whatever column name you want to change and nnn is the width in
> pixels, that being the number you'd change):
>
> <int name='header-pane-date-column-width' value='nnn'/>

There's no indication that you tried this.  I assumed it was more of a
hassle and you didn't want to try it, but given your mention (in a new
thread) of not finding an answer to this yet several months later, I said
I'd take another look at this thread, and this seems to be what you hadn't
tried yet, so...

(There was a bug back in the gtk2 era where after certain updates, never
traced it down to a specific package but..., pan would only show the last
column, score in my setup, taking the entire header pane.  All the other
columns would be zero-width, with the dividers piled up on top of each
other.  After the second time or so I decided editing the file was easier
than the GUI method.  Another time or two and I created patch-files to
edit the file and setup a script to attempt to apply them on every pan
start, so if I saw only the score column all I had to do was restart pan
and the patch files would apply before pan started, bringing everything
back to normal.  So yeah, I have some experience editing the prefs file to
get the header columns back to sanity.)