pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] can't move anything

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] can't move anything
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 06:06:37 -0000 (UTC)

Dominique Dumont posted on Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:42:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Wednesday, 3 January 2024 01:30:12 CET David Chmelik wrote:
>> > Could you try to move a header column separator when the scrollbar
>> > vanishes when you hover the separation between 2 columns ?
>>
>> Apparently it is possible now.  I thought the mouse cursor used to
>> change.
>
> It's supposed to change. It does change on my system with KDE or Xfce.
>
> I guess that the cursor icon for hovering is overridden somewhere in
> your setup, or it's an Xfce bug.

Try a different (x)cursor theme.

The way they work, if one of the specific cursors is missing it'll fall
back to a different one, worst-case, ultimately back to whatever the
default pointer is.  It's also relatively common for some of the cursors
in a theme to be symlinked to others as appropriate because as the
standard developed some desktops looked for one name, some another, for
similar functionality.

If a particular theme doesn't have whatever cursor's being called (likely
because whoever developed it didn't run into anything actually needing
that cursor) and it ends up falling back to the default cursor, the
behavior would be pretty much exactly as described here -- no change from
the default cursor to indicate directional-dragability.

So try a few different xcursor themes (which are still used on wayland
despite the xcursor name, BTW) and see if at least some of them have a
changing directional-drag-cursor as appropriate/expected.

If some do but other than the missing cursors you still prefer the theme
missing theme enough to bother, try comparing a working theme against your
bad one to see which cursor names ones are missing in the bad one and
consider manually creating symlinks, either to other cursors in that theme
or to those of another theme, to fill the gap.  (There's actually a way to
configure fallbacks too, and of course it's possible to create your own
cursors as fill-ins or to do your own entire theme, but other than an
initial pointer to the xcursor manpage that's well out of scope for this
post and well beyond what I've done personally.  But I do occasionally
download new cursor themes and switch between them as the whimsy occurs,
and have occasionally come across some incomplete/buggy ones.)