pan-users

[Pan-users] Trying to build Pan with cmake

From: Dominique Dumont
Subject: [Pan-users] Trying to build Pan with cmake
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 19:12:48 +0100

Hi all

I'm trying to build Pan with Cmake. The main reasons are:
- autotools is really not easy to maintain
- using ccls (C++ language server) with Pan code is not easy.

Working with ccls requires a .ccls or a compile_commands.json which contains
build information so that ccls can understand the code.

This file is straightforward to generate with cmake, but not with autotools.

Hopefully, enabling cmake will make Pan maintenance somewhat easier (at least
for me...)

Anyway, I've setup a `cmake` branch [2] in  Pan repo. I've pushed the new
cmake files.

So far, cmake can compile Pan on Debian and generate the gmo files.

To try it:
- checkout cmake branch
- mkdir build
- cd build
- cmake ..
- cmake --build . (you may add --verbose option)

What's not working (yet):
- build on Windows or Mac (I've added some cmake code, but I cannot test it)
- installation

This is my first cmake project, so seasoned cmake users might find the code
messy...

You're welcome to create PR to improve the cmake files. Be sure to target cmake
branch for these Prs.

I'll keep you posted on my progress, but this will take time as my vacations
are over.

Best wishes for 2024

Dominique

[1] https://github.com/MaskRay/ccls/wiki/Project-Setup