pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] interface bug

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] interface bug
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 00:20:07 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:41:42 -0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:

> AFAIK it's not a size threshold per se, but rather, it happens with a
> message split into several parts (sub-messages, each sent separately,
> not multiple parts as in a text part, and html part, maybe other parts,
> all sent in different sections of the same message, the other meaning of
> multi-part) for sending.  Because this tends to happen with larger
> messages it does somewhat correspond to size, but the same message sent
> with a single-part size set low enough to trigger pre-send splitting and
> sending of those separate parts as different messages will trigger this
> when pan encounters it, while it won't if the single-part size was set
> high enough that it was sent as a single un-split message.

I thought this was the case, but it doesn't seem to be.

I was mistaken in saying that I access that povray group on gmane - it's
actually its own DNews server.  In the group povray.binaries.images, you
can see the message at the root of the thread "Reservations" (message ID
148096) is a single message with a very long binary attachment.

There's no "part 2" - the message itself is 66,329 lines long, and (if you
tee the output from nc to a file), you can see that the boundary at the
top and at the bottom makes a complete file (you have to use unix2dos to
convert crlf to lf only before using base64 to decode it).

So while this may happen with multipart posts, it also does happen with
single posts that contain a large encoded binary as well.

--
 Jim Henderson