paperclips-discuss

Re: [Paperclips-discuss] Re: CVS trouble

From: Gokul Singh
Subject: Re: [Paperclips-discuss] Re: CVS trouble
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:33:56 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nic Ferrier" <address@hidden>

> However, there's good scope for a more traditional servlet server
> built with Paperclips. This would use a server.xml (or whatever)
> config file. The config file would define the contexts to be loaded
> and the various other parameters.

I have always supported the presence of such a configuration file.

> I think it would be cool if the config file also allowed overloading
> of the deployment descriptor of individual webapps.

I am not sure why is this required. The only reason that I can think of is
if the war file is a signed jar file, then one can not customize the web.xml
in the war file.
Why exactly are you looking for such a functionality?

> There would need to be some way to pass the web-app snippet to the
> WebApp service's DD parser after the webapp has initialized.

Do we need to pass the snippet unparsed. Maybe we can parse it and give it
in a parsed format to the WebApp.

> In other words, WebApp gets created and parses it's .war file and
> then the boot class passes the web-app snippet to the WebApp for
> parsing.

or may be the boot class passes a hashtable to the WebApp for overriding the
setting in the DD.

> Currently WebApp doesn't allow that so it would need to be changed a
> bit.

Should we start with the overloading functionality or the configuration of
paperclips as such.

> I'd like the boot class to have the ability to search a path for the
> server.xml, rather like webappd finds war files in the warpath.
>
> This would be quite cool. It would be the best way to configure
> Paperclips for a runtime environment (as opposed to development where
> webappd is very useful).
>
> It is quite a lot of xml parsing though (for which the classpathx xml
> parser should be used).

Right.. but is that in place..

regds,
Gokul