paperclips-discuss

Re: [Paperclips-discuss] java -jar

From: Steven J. Owens
Subject: Re: [Paperclips-discuss] java -jar
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:47:43 -0500 (EST)

Nic,

> Fabricio Matheus Goncalves <address@hidden> writes:
> > I was not able find a search engine, its suposed i should download all
> > text archive to search?
>
> There should be one... if there isn't it's a savannah problem. I'll
> look into it.

     I've been thinking about the search engine aspects... various
open source / gnu software projects I use have mailing lists, many of
them archived at geocrawler, with (as far as I can tell) no
searchability.  I've been working with the jakarta-lucene search API a
lot at work (and will be even more in the immediate future). I've been
meaning to do this private project with a lucene-based searchable mail
archive with annotations.

     Hence, lately while trying to find some answers (the most recent
example being when I installed the UW IMAP server and SquirrelMail in
an attempt to give some technoilliterate friends a hotmail-like mail
service without the cheesy ads and horrible performance; I logged into
my own account via SquirrelMail to test it, works fine... only now I'm
not seeing my email for that account in my normal shell email program,
elm!), I've become massively frustrated and seriously thought about
setting up a searchable archive.

     I guess what I'm working up to is, if you need something built to
support this, I'm up for doing it, and I think it can be done quickly
and efficiently.

Steven J. Owens
address@hidden <- currently not checked as often due to imap problems
address@hidden <- busy with list traffic, but checked more often