parallel a script - new

From: yacob sen
Subject: parallel a script - new
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:31:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I have a script

for file in  *.a
do

prog -i $file -type s

done

Here the executable program "prog" needs the file name as input after the "-i" option. I do not have also control  over the output files. the prog program outputs the result in the directory I run.

Is it possible to use GNU parallel for this type of jobs.  I figured out that it is easy to pass the file name but find it it difficult to pass the date extracting from the filename the program.

Kind regards
Yacob