partysip-dev

[Partysip-dev] Writing plug-ins and licensing

From: Jeremy Pullicino
Subject: [Partysip-dev] Writing plug-ins and licensing
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:00:19 +0200

Hi,

I would like to write my own proprietry plug-in that will be very similar to the UDP plug-in except that it will perform some special logging to a custom databsase. This plug-in will not be useful to anyone apart from myself so I do not want to GPL it.

I was looking at the UDP plug-in and can see that it links to the following libaries:

partysip.lib
ppl.lib
osipparser2.lib
osip2.lib

Linking to GPL means I need to GPL my source code - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

The web site of partysip states this:

" As the entire code of the core application is LGPL, it is allowed to build proprietary plugins. This is useful when you want to build specific services which code is useless for the general public. As an example, proprietary plugins can be used to manage proprietary database information that comes with their products." - http://www.nongnu.org/partysip/partysip.html

A few important questions need to be answered:

1. Are osipparser2 and osip2 LGPL or GPL?
2. Does the UDP plug-in need to link with them?
3. Is it true that I could create my own proprietry plug-in without having to GPL it?
4. Will writing my own plug-in require changes in the partysip code?
5. If I write and distribute my own plug-in I need to also distribute a custom configuration file. Is the configuration file covered by GPL?

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy Pullicino