pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Logging function

From: gerel
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Logging function
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:22:30 -0300

 > From: Aleksander Morgado <address@hidden>
 >
 > I just saw that gerel already started something quite similar in the
 > Error module.
 >
 > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pdf-devel/2007-12/msg00058.html
 >
 > I guess the logging function could be included directly in the Error module.
 >
 > gerel, what do you think?

Hey aleksander,

Well, I have made an argument related to that before:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pdf-devel/2007-12/msg00052.html

--- QUOTE ---
the idea I have in mind is to define _general_ error
types and error reporting procedures for describing user-level problems.  OTOH
for those errors that aren't of much use to users and are reported for
debugging purposes, instead of filling every source file with:

#ifdef DEBUG
#endif

statements I'd suggest to write some procedure/macro let's say "PDF_DEBUG" and
use it on every place needed. And then in case we're compiling source
--with-no-debug just define "PDF_DEBUG" to ' ' (void).

Note that I'm just talking about error reporting here, error checking and
recovering is subject to the caller procedure.
--- END QUOTE ---

In other words, I'd just use two levels to keep it simpler.
Error messages (for the 'user' of gnupdf) and debug messages (for us).

I'd always issue error/warning messages to users, thus, no configure flags.

And for debug flags:

'--with-<layer>-<module>-debug'

Both ideas apply though.

So what do the rest of us think ?