pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Polymorphism on GNU Pdf

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Polymorphism on GNU Pdf
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:49:19 +0200

   I mean, it is cool to have a filter interface that we can handle
   homogenously, but it is not so cool if we need a
   pdf_stream_install_filter that gets a fixed enum to identify the
   filter... what if the library client wants to define a new kind of
   filter? He can't...

We dont plan to allow the client to define new filter types without
modifying the library.

   Even worse, stream backends have a defined interface but we are
   using a switch () {} on every stream function to dispatch the
   correct one instead of using function pointers...

the same for the backends. The user can define new filesystem types
that she can then use as a backend for the streams.

   My proposal is to define a clear metodology for polymorphic types
   that makes the gnupdf API more consistent and that causes less
   coupling among modules. My purposed method is the one used by
   GNUlib data structures:

I will think about it.