pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Font subsetting

From: Ralph Giles
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Font subsetting
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:50:34 -0800

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Peter Thomassen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this list is right for my question, but I'd like to know if
> there's any approach of GNU PDF in the direction of such problems.

I don't think gnupdf development has gotten that far. I expect it will
eventually have code to do this, though. It's a normal feature of pdf
creation software.

> Maybe, there already is existing software to reduce the embedded fonts to
> the subset that is actually used? Or is that impossible?

No, it's relatively straightforward. Ghostscript has code to do this,
but it's part of the general pdf writer module. I don't know of a
stand-alone tool to do so. You might see if there's something
available in any of the webfont prototypes.

FWIW,
 -r