pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Unneeded macros in the public header

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Unneeded macros in the public header
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:20:39 +0100

   > Yes.  Currently these macros are available to the library user and are
   > documented in the reference manual.  The rationale is to ease the
   > debugging of problems while using the library.

   Humm.. Not really sure if that's so useful. Whenever the library is
   distributed out there, it won't be compiled with the configure options
   which enable those macros, so PDF_DEBUG_* macros for example will do
   nothing. We don't even use them in our unit tests, I believe.

I would not oppose to remove those macros from the public pdf.h file
as long as the documentation is updated in accordance.

   Also, enabling or disabling those macros actually depend on the #defines
   we have in our config.h, which is not distributed.

   Thus, if a given library user wants to use those macros, she needs to
   prepare her own config.h (for example) to be included before pdf.h and
   define the proper things.

Too bad.  The behavior of pdf.h shall not be affected by symbols
defined by the user program.  Since pdf.h is dynamically generated
using code in the Makefile.am files it should not be difficult to
define PDF_USE_BUILTIN_64BIT_SUPPORT et all in the fly.

I just created a flyspray task to fix that [1].  Thanks for reporting
this.

[1] http://gnupdf.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=113

--
Jose E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>