perlpanel-devel

Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Showing a Configuration Dialog

From: Thomas
Subject: Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Showing a Configuration Dialog
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:24:41 -0500

On Thursday 08 July 2004 07:43, Gavin Brown wrote:
> popup-menu is new in Gtk+ 2.4.0, do you have an up-to-date version?
Yes, i was using 2.4.0+, and i was not getting an error message stating that
it was an invalid signal (which i had gotten in the past for signals that do
not exist).  Now that I have the GtkImage in an event box, i have not tried
this again, but might for the next release.

> You need to wrap the image in a GtkEventBox, since image widgets can't
> accept signals.
I figured this out, but thanks, it was exactly what I was looking for.

> A dialog is preferred. You may find the CPUTemp applet useful, it
> implements a very simple config dialog using Glade. Just copy the
> configure() and prefs() methods into your applet code and modify their
> inernals as needed.
Ok, good to know.  I had actually already written the configuration dialog, I
just had no way of showing it anymore (It was part of my original "show a
window" test).

Would there be any interest in adding a feature where each plugin could add a
tab to the configuration dialog, similar to gaim's configuration dialog?  I'm
not sure exactly how I would expose this feature to the plugins myself, but
something similar to Moshe's addConfigurationItem might be interesting (I did
not look at it closely as it was overkill for my applet's measly 3 options),
but I am not familiar with Perl/Gtk (I have more of a C++/QT and Java/Swing
background), so somebody else might be able to design a more appropriate
implementation.

> If you continue to have problems, asking on the gtk-perl mailing list
> might be a good idea.
 Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the help

Thomas Stephens