perlpanel-devel

Re: [Perlpanel-devel] WeatherWatch version 0.2

From: Moshe Kaminsky
Subject: Re: [Perlpanel-devel] WeatherWatch version 0.2
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:02:41 +0300

Hi,

* Thomas <address@hidden> [14/07/04 22:15]:
> I have released a new version of WeatherWatch, addressing some of Moshe's and
> Gavin's concerns, as well as adding features I had on the to-do list in my
> head.  There is now a dialog for searching for you weather.com location code,
> a help system, some tooltips in the configuration dialog, support for the _()
> function for translations, error checking when grabbing information from the
> server (both for invalid location codes and for an inability to
> connect to the server) and icons are now stored in a more sensible
> location.

Here are some minor points I saw:

- perlpanel crashed when I tried to find the code for my city in the
  config dialog. This happened because $temp on line 293 is not an array
  ref. The reason is probably that my city was not found. Does this work
  only for US locations? (By the way, I live in Rehovot, which is quite
  a small city in Israel, and the site does have my city, so I guess it
  does support many locations out of the US).

- perlpanel seems to be interested in supporting per user installation
  of applets (I'm certainly for it). However, the value for $ICON_PATH
  is fixed on the system-wide option.

- the PodViewer load method looks for the module relative to the paths
  in @INC. In the PerlPanel.pm code I see that it gets required via the
  last component only (eg, 'WeatherWatch.pm'), so the argument to load
  (line 233) should be 'WeatherWatch' (or, I guess the safest is
  $INC{'WeatherWatch'}).

- when the config window is open, I can't open the help window, or
  scroll it if it was already open.

- when I open the config window, I get a 'No find icon' message (in the
  terminal). I guess it has to do with the fact that the find button of
  the location code looks very thin. I don't know what happens, though.

Moshe