[Phpgroupware-developers] Sourceforge

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Sourceforge
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:51:29 -0800

Damien Mc Kenna wrote:

> At 02:59 PM 11/13/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>  > (btw, what is the status on this? Savanah?)
>
> More to the point, how well will Savanah be able to cope with the possible
> 100,000's of developers and associated projects that will shortly start
> showing up?  At least VALinux were committed to supporting SourceForge.net
> for open-source projects.

Well since SourceForge itself only has 291,976 developers and 29,374
projects, along with the fact that Savannah only allows "Free Software"
projects I dont think there is much concern about some 100,000
developers showing up. Additionally I will use whatever influence I have
to make sure it doesnt happen. If too many developers and projects ask
to be allowed on Savannah and the hardware and bandwidth resources are
not there, then the Savannah leadership will simply have stop taking new
projects.

Also, VA is commited to support SourceForge.net as long as they have the
money to do it. Trust me when I say that sf.net will be ditched if a
choice becomes between laying off needed staff vs. continue hosting
sf.net. Much less if VA goes out of business... sf.net goes with it.

Sourceforge.net is a huge expense... huge. By law VA is required to do
what it can to become profitable and to maximize profits. If the stock
holders decide that continueing sf.net is the reason that their stocks
coninue to be in the gutter... then they can sue VA.

Seek3r