Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] offline version of phpGW

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] offline version of phpGW
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:40:26 -0800

Frederik Denkens wrote:

> The whole idea of placing mail in a db seems very unattractive to me. As now
> it is perfectly possible to keep accesing ones mail through standard mail
> clients. This would become impossible with this, which in my eyes would be a
> bad point.
>
> Just my opinion.

I dont think Chris is talking about deleting the message from the IMAP
server unless the user issues a delete command. I think Chris is talking
about doing what every other client based IMAP client does, and that is
to store at least the header if not the entire message in a local data
store which keeps in sync with the IMAP server. So this will still allow
you to user other IMAP clients just fine.

netscape does this *exact* thing and stores copies of all my headers in
my ~/.ns_imap and for some of my folders which I have tagged as ones I
want to be able to use in offline mode, it stores the entire email
message. This does not mean that I am not able to use phpGW to view my
IMAP messages anymore...

Seek3r