Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] offline version of phpGW

From: Lars Kneschke
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] offline version of phpGW
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:49:27 +0100 (MET)

> address@hidden schrieb:
>
> Frederik Denkens wrote:
>>
>> The whole idea of placing mail in a db seems very unattractive to me.
>> As now it is perfectly possible to keep accesing ones mail through
>> standard mail clients. This would become impossible with this, which
>> in my eyes would be a bad point. The whole idea of placing mail in a
>> db seems very unattractive to me. As now it is perfectly possible to
>> keep accesing ones mail through standard mail clients. This would
>> become impossible with this, which in my eyes would be a bad point.
>> Just my opinion.
>
> I dont think Chris is talking about deleting the message from the IMAP
> server unless the user issues a delete command. I think Chris is
> talking about doing what every other client based IMAP client does, and
> that is to store at least the header if not the entire message in a
> local data store which keeps in sync with the IMAP server. So this will
> still allow you to user other IMAP clients just fine.
>
> netscape does this *exact* thing and stores copies of all my headers in
> my ~/.ns_imap and for some of my folders which I have tagged as ones I
> want to be able to use in offline mode, it stores the entire email
> message. This does not mean that I am not able to use phpGW to view my
> IMAP messages anymore...

But you have to deal with some problems. I was thinking about it for SM too,
to speed SM up.

You can ask the imap server for the current number of emails. You can ask
the  imap server for the highest message number(increases with every new
message). If this number change, you know there are new messages. That's easy.

You can also fetch the message body. If you put this data into a database,
you h ave what you want. I would store the headers in the database, but when
i reas a message, i would always connect to the imap server, so i get's
markes read there.

Problems:

What if you deleted a message with another imap client? The you need to
resyncronize both. Don't know if that's a big problem.

I would like to test this with SM. Let's see what we can do.

Cu