Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Status of GIF matters

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Status of GIF matters
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:26:37 +1100

Good idea. Whatever the outcome with phpGW, I suggest the FSF put up a page
showing the PNG problem in various
browsers with a tutorial showing how to minimise the problem and produce a
uniform result. You might be able to
product the work in association with Gimp and the person who produced:
http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

Browser developers might want to add announcements to the page about new
releases along the lines of:
"This problem occurs in 3.5 and is fixed in 3.6. Download 3.6 at __"

It would be a great resource for Web sites staying with GIFs because of rumours
about PNGs. The Web site owners
could make an informed decision to upgrade to PNGs with uniform backgrounds.

Peter