Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification

From: Miles Lott
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 09:21:42 -0600

/Angles/ Puglisi wrote:
> Multiple account support .14 is broken. It is frozen at 2 accounts only. The
> number
> of extra accounts the code supports is infinate. My brain is not equiped to
> calculate the difference between 2 and infinate, but this bug fix should be
> applied.
> That was an artificial limit imposed to expidite the HTML design of the UI,
> which
> happen to coincide with the branching.

feature.

> The ability to preview an email in "raw" form, so you may inspect for
> malicious HTML
> scripts, does not exist in .14, this is not a lack of a feature, this is a
> lack of
> brain cells on my part as I forgot to add that HREF when I made the "view
> headers"
> link, some time ago.

feature.

> .14 does not transfer the "personal" part of the email address from the
> address book
> to the to,cc, or bcc boxes. I, and others who have read the FAQ, have been
> manually
> typing in the "personal" part of the email address for some 4 months now. I
> finally
> got around to fixing that a few weeks ago. I guess what is NEW there is the
> user
> does not have to type in by hand the personal part. I consider this a bug
> fix, it is
> extremely abnormal that the user should type in by hand the personal part of
> an
> address every time a mail is composed.

It is also not necessary that they do this, so long as the email address
is there.
feature.

> .14 does not have bcc. Almost nothing changed in the code, but that's the
> nature of
> Bcc, it gives the SMTP server another address. So the new feature there is
> giving
> the SMTP server an additional RCPT TO line. Well, maybe that was a bug fix,
> there's
> no "new" code in that, just another loop through old code.

feature.

> Also, in the API, the class.send.inc.php is broken, I forgot to take out the
> obsoleted "append to sent folder" code, and the line breaks do not conform to
> RFC2822, nor to RFC822, which may seem like not a big deal but is actually
> quite
> serious from a standards point of view. The "append to send folder" vestigal
> code is
> already breaking 2 apps that I have been made aware of in the chat room.

used to work...  what happened?  I don't make email calls except to
compose,
so I don't know when it got broken.

> My only hope is that the leadership team may actually spend a few minutes of
> their
> time to send and/or read an email with the app before making a decision.

I did.

> Whether you look at the app or not, I will, of course, respect your decision
> either
> way, because this is inherently the chain of command in large projects (which
> we now
> qualify as), and I have no desire to be a project "leader" anyway, I am a
> coder.

Are you sure?

> Last release cycle I had to ostensibly disobey "leaders" (then it was not
> clear who
> was a "leader") to get bug fixes in the release product. This did effect me
> personally as I really got sick dealing with "bug report" emails that
> involved fixed
> issues. I should have just had an auto responder. Honestly, the irony of
> extremely
> happy customers with a bug fixed product vs. angry "leaders" chastising me for
> fixing these bugs, was quite profound.

This is great.  So you WERE doing this on purpose, pretending to not
know.
Try it again.

The fact is that in .12:
1) some of the bugs existed long before you showed up (why the rush
post-branching?),
2) still other bugs arose from the introduction of new features,
3) MORE bugs showed up from the introduction of new features into the
release
branch after feature freeze.

Guess which part is easy to eliminate.

> Oh, I may note that in a direct democracy, leaders are voted on by the people
> in
> general, while in an indirect democracy (as existed here until the last
> century)
> certain leaders who were voted on then, in turn, vote on an executive leader
> (or
> leadership structure). Granted, businesses are not democracies, whether
> direct or
> not.

I guess this is more like an oligarchy ;)

> As a student of government, I caution you against excessive bureaucracy (i.e.
> lack
> of the executive element).

blah blah blah - We have been in feature freeze in the .14 branch for a
month
now.  Yes, this may be too long to wait to release.   But it is no less
frozen
than before.  This is also one less month of testing in the stable
branch
for the email app if you perform a major commit again like last time.

--

Miles Lott - phpGroupWare
http://www.phpgroupware.org