Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] filemanager and phpwebhosting apps in setu

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] filemanager and phpwebhosting apps in setup
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:16:25 -0500

This is a very temporary conflict.  Assuming a site used both filemanager and
phpwebhosting in parallel (unlikely in itself), the only conflict would be a
user named 'home', because 'users' and 'groups' in phpwebhosting would be
inside of the home directory.

Any future file management apps, or existing apps such as email that make use
of files must go through the VFS, and therefore work in the same filespace as
all other file management apps.  User's home directories are shared among all
apps, and there is built-in support for ".application" directories like those
commonly used in Unix filesystems.  Just as important, home directories are in
a separate directory ("/home"), so any app wishing to use the filesystem in a
non-standard or unique way need only to create it's own directory in the root
directory ("/") to be guaranteed separate from other applications that use the
filesystem.

I think this handles the future applications of the file system quite well,
incorporating a global filespace shared among all of phpGroupWare, while
allowing any single application to utilize it's own private space, either on a
global or per-user scale.

Jason Wies aka Zone