[Phpgroupware-developers] XMLRPC: the simple CLIENT example works "local

From: BOSSER Michel
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] XMLRPC: the simple CLIENT example works "locally" with PhP 4
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:55:37 +0100 (MET)

Jean Eric WROTE:
>I found that phpGW was unable to get the user id
>with the kp3/sessionid. I think that's a DB specific thing and php4
>session can not handle it.

Here is A method to gain inspiration from to get
a kd3/sessionid access in the simple client/findState example.
for which we had an UNAUTHORIZED access from the "server" before
finding (should I say "dicovering") the trick bellow.

We are using KDE and PhP 4 and, as we did not find much
info in the forums, we've spent quite a long time on it,
so we hope it'll be useful to you and to the XMLRPC community.

We understood many things during our blind "hare and hounds" week-end:

- the demos on usefulinc/demo work perfectly well remotely but
to have them working locally is another problem,
- following the O'REILLY link to the JellyFish book, and noticing
how well the XMLRPC/JAVA cooperation was described in the example chapter,
we supposed that all the commented steps we had been desperatly
looking for where undoubtedly perfectly described in the JELLYFISH book chap 5
for Php.

So it is a shame that the XML-RPC installation kit is only an appendix of the
book
we cannot get within our 48h deadline (we are students).

Consequently, is it possible to have what follows included
in the next XMLRPC package to avoid the same hassle to newcomers ?

+++++++++++++++++++++ Explained "with hands" +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The general idea is that, for the simple client example,
/phpgroupware/xmlrpc/client.php  does not access
/phpgroupware/xmlrpc/server.php at all.
It uses the interface program /phpgroupware/xmlrpc.php to access the server
methods included/dissimulated in /phpgroupware/pgpgwapi/inc/xmlrpc.interop.php
 through a KD3/sessionId key.

The key couple generation proceeds ONLY if you uncomment
        // include(PHPGW_API_INC . '/xmlrpc.interop.php
in /phpgroupware/xmlrpc.php
giving you acces to the server functions of this interop file.
Then as a normal server, the request result is sent back to the client

(1) I did not take sufficient time to study
/phpgroupware/xmlrpc/server.php but as far as the diff file between it
and /phpgroupware/pgpgwapi/inc/xmlrpc.interop.php is concerned,
the former contains numerous extra global variable (to work more
"independently" ??)

For us, this lock being released, things should go more easily now.

/Michel