Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] [Fwd: Re: [users-groupware] Kroupware]

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] [Fwd: Re: [users-groupware] Kroupware]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 04:00:41 -0400

address@hidden, address@hidden

I think KDE has great applications for calendar, email, addressbook, todo, etc.
 I've not developed for KDE, but it seems that the apps have a very
sophisticated communication system between them.  The thing that is missing,
then, is the server solution to handle the logic of appointments and emails and
todos and access control and the rest, to feed to the applications.  Guess
what?  That server is phpGroupWare.

It's become apparent since the work on XML-RPC and SOAP support in phpGroupWare
was started that we are able to occupy the dual role of groupware application
and groupware server, and from Dan's previous postings I don't think there's
any dispute about that.  With a easy to use interface for Evolution, KDE,
OpenOffice, and other applications, phpGroupWare could fill a gap that the Free
Software community needs.

So I don't think we should write Kroupware off as Krapware.  phpGroupWare has a
solid set of groupware logic that it has taken years to develop, and it would
be counter to the ideals of the Free Software community to have Kroupware
reimplement that logic, not to mention a major strain on the resources of the
Kroupware programmers.  Kroupware, even in just their first Architecture Paper,
has considered issues we have not yet dealt with and could benefit from greatly.

To the Kroupware developers: With a little work, phpGroupWare will be able to
handle the server side.  XML-RPC and SOAP support is working, but needs to be
extended to include more parts of the API, parts that already exist and work
well.  I think if we work together on this we can finally bridge the gap
between the client side and server side and advance the Free Software community
that much further.

phpGroupWare (http://www.phpgroupware.org/) developers hang out in
irc.freenode.net/#phpgroupware, and of course address@hidden  Drop by or send a
note, we are actively developing now.