Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Address Book

From: Alex Borges (lex)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Address Book
Date: 12 Nov 2002 14:28:39 -0600

Jose,

Um, it seems this is not a problem at all, if users want a record
viewable by others, all they need to do is give everyone (all groups)
read permision and set all their addressbooks entries as not-private.

When i deployed our own phpgw, I decided to have one central user have
all the public (callem 'corporate') entries, editable only by some users
(admins). This allows me to have a central directory which i can
control.

What i recomend for you is to centralize all your entries (so far) to a
single user through a simple change in the owner field of the
addressbook tables (you should be able to figure out the query), and set
it to the user id that youll use as holder for all the entries you have
SO FAR. Then, kindly explain to your users that if they want other users
to see their own entries (the ones theyll create from now ON), they need
to not set their entries as private and to set their ACL read permisions
properly for either all users, the default group, some
groups...whatever... You should fiddle arround with the thing a little
bit before going into production anyhow, so shame on you (:P).