Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Test plan

From: Paolo Andreetto
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Test plan
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:27:57 +0100

Dave Hall wrote:

Ummm ... not that i am aware of.

If not, is someone working on it?

It is something me and lex should look at as part of our roles as stable
release coordinators.  If you have any ideas/suggestions or want to do
it go ahead and keep us posted.  I am pretty busy at the moment ... and
I understand .9.16/1.0 is still some time off, so I have not spent much
time on this issue.

Our suggestion is quite simple. We have no time enough to write a complete
test plan for the entire groupware, so we're writing an XML document
describing the tests performed, the procedure for each test the result and so on.
This document is structured as a tree, and using a good XML editor is simple
to handle. The tree is updated whenever a new test is performed.
The DTD is:

<!ELEMENT tree ( node ) >

<!ELEMENT node ( label , proc?, result?, todo?, comment?, subtree*) >
<!ATTLIST node id ID #REQUIRED
              version CDATA #REQUIRED
              day CDATA #REQUIRED
              done (true|false|broken) #REQUIRED
              tester CDATA #REQUIRED >

<!ELEMENT label (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT proc (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT result (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT todo (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT comment (#PCDATA) >

<!ELEMENT subtree (node+) >

With a simple parser we can put and get tree and subtree into, resp. from,
a SQL database.

I know that this doesn't follow the soft-eng principles, but if the tree is
well defined and with A LOT OF nodes, it is possible to extract a
good test plan.

Paolo
http://www.prosa.it