Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] pb concept for calendar enhancements

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] pb concept for calendar enhancements
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:56:48 +0200

Hi Kai,

I'm a bit concerned how less you explored the existing code / functionality of the calendar and the already planed and sheduled enhancements.

Have a look at the wiki pages about the calendar.

Kai Hofmann wrote:
Hello,

on the base of phpgw 0.9.14 there is a probusiness concept paper
for improving the calendar module. In short it will discuss these things:

- Reminder function for periodical appointments (including interrupts of the
period)

The "reminder function" called notifys and alarms in our termenology is half way implemented and will be avalible for .16. The general API Service for that is discript in the wiki as AsyncTimedServices.

Interruptions and execptions of re-ocuring events are already implemented since .14.000.

What we dont have is a voteing mechanism for meetings. What are they voteing about alternative dates, because about attending or not, they could already "vote" in giving there replie to an invitations.

- Collision check for appointments

This is already implemented since years. Thought the function supply a bit more information (withing the ACL-settings) about the conflicting a bit

- Combination with a mail absence notification and/or delegation

This is more a question of server-side email-filtering. If that is generaly availible in phpGW, it could be controled via the calendar. If you want to implement that just for your courier mail-server product I would suggest to use a hook in the edit function.

- More flexible response states for appointment members

Adding custom states might make sense and they should be saved in the system configuration of the calendar (only to be edited by an admin).

You can find the complete paper at:

http://www.probusiness.de/projekte/phpgroupware/calendar.html

"Using the calendar, a user can also view the status of other users of an appointment. However, the user can only change his/her own status." This is just not true, everyone with edit grant (look at the wiki for ACL) can change the status of an other user. I like the idea to use a selectbox for that.

We appreciate your feedback.

I hope that does not mean I should always review your plans for allready implemented of planed (and documented) features ;-).

Ralf
Ralf Becker
OUTDOOR UNLIMITED Training GmbH                Telefon 0631 / 31657-0
Leibnizstraße 17                               Telefax 0631 / 31657-26
D-67663 Kaiserslautern            EMail address@hidden