Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with acc

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with accounts
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:49:31 +0000

Michael Dean (address@hidden) wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 04:37, Ralf Becker wrote:
>> > I would see there would be several key queries.  A list query (maybe 2
>> > one for person and for orgs), one for each type of summary (person, org,
>> > and user).  The full details query, which would be 3 or 4 queries
>> > executed in sucession - which would give full record data.
>>
>> I strongly disagree here for performance reasons. Within one class we
>> should use joins to pull the data of one "virtual" record together.
>> Specialy if we are querying for more then one record like in the
>> address-linsting or the search.
>
>You can't do this for practical reasons.  You will get multiple records
>back for the same contact.  You also do not need the full detail for a
>contact every time.  Usually, lists can be done with name and perhaps
>preferred addy and phone.
>
>Mike

I agree with this .. but here is something I've never tried that might work in a
limited way for some of the data:

add those extra records as extra columns. ie if there are two emails, instead of
returning two records, merge them into one record with double the number of
columns.

I suspose allowing an edit and updating the db values would be impossible this
way
but it might work for readonly uses

--
Brian Johnson
* This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this