Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with acc

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with accounts
Date: 30 Jun 2003 14:06:54 -0500

> > this problem applies to all of the apps that try to rely on a link
> > to a contacts
> > record: what prevents a user from deleting a contact record that
> > your app is relying
> > on being there
>
> I understand that limitation.

This is a very valid point. Still, we cant have it as default that all
apps wanting to link to contacts (which should be most, even the
calendar, now that we are linking contacts to accounts). A better
solution is to implement a real hook (tm) that will be enforced for all
contact linking apps and will be called upon deletion of contacts.

This would be the cleanest way and we could finally have a strong
framework to know exactly to whom are we sending email, dates, notes,
files, how and why, regardless if the person is an account or a contact
or whatever. I think this is whats groupware is all about, its a
critical feature to have in the api, even if it means a lot of work and
it cant go in untill head. It wont stop people from doing what timetrack
does though, it will only provide for a clean way to do it.

One app that we do have to change is the calendar. It would be neatest
to have it invite contacts, not accounts, and to detect which contacts
are actually accounts and to act accordingly (set an appointment in the
db for accounts, just send email to non-account contacts).

kheb is going to work in that (if all agree), he has joined us today and
i hope you guys meet him soon.