Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with acc

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with accounts
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:59:49 +0200

Brian Johnson wrote:
Maybe I need to explain more.

I'm hoping to link to addressbook contacts for projects in timetrack for use in
my
company.

Those contacts are then business records that cannot be allowed to be deleted
regardless of how stupid the user is .. it can't even be an option

I see to concepts to deal with this not to delete records:

1) We introduce the concept of takeing over ownership of a certain record by an administrative user which restrict delete of "his" records for the rest of the users.

2) We add a readonly or not-to-delete flag to that records, and grant permission to set/reset this flag exclusivly on group-level and not by ownership.

Dan Kuykendall (address@hidden) wrote:
Brian Johnson wrote:
what I would like, instead of a way to allow timetrack to handle a deleted
contact
record, is simply to prevent the deletion of that contact record (maybe with an
error message saying what app is linking to the contact record)

I think this would be the easiest to implement too

my main need is to prevent deletion, not cope with it

Yes and no. We should msg the user that the record is needed by x app,
and then if the user still insists on deleting the record, then x app
would need to have some way to cope with it. Maybe simply deleting all
of its associated records. The msg is all we can do, we cant really
prevent users from being stupid, and in some cases its even possible
that they know what they are doing.

That situation requirs transactions! If you send the first linking app the signal I want to delete that record, this app says yes and takes it's measures (eg. delete its own link record) and the 2. notified app / user denies the deletion: you need transactions to roll back that situation or have a 2 level solution where you query in the first stage and delete in the second.

I'm a bit afraid that gets terible complicated, specialy if the user requesting the delete does have only right to delete that record and not rights to delete the linked records or not even run-right to that app.

Quite unsure if thats the direction to go.

Ralf
Ralf Becker
digital ROCK, Becker & Macht GbR            Telefon +49 (631) 31657-51
Leibnizstraße 17                            Telefax +49 (631) 31657-52
D-67663 Kaiserslautern                 EMail address@hidden