Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposal execution speed vs. documentation

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposal execution speed vs. documentation and code maintenance
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 07:38:08 +0000 (GMT)

Alex Borges <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree.....
>
> Even an optimizer script for converting cvs to optimal (need to
> supportupdates, else the patches would get all messy or wed have to
> mantaindifferent, identical branches for each version),

Then we would have a huge mess, look at what happens with getting AM
snapshots into our CVS, and that does not even include comments removed
(which could help with speed there).

I think if performance is a real issue for a site, they should co from
cvs strip the comments themselves, then test it, copy it into their
production environment.

> that could
> also (this
> is needed) optimize the templates, which almost never should have
> actualspaces (only nbsp, else, space is ignored by the browser).

This is pretty simple to do imho.  Just insert the new lines where
needed to make to more readable.  There are tools for indenting html if
you need to fix/edit a template, then where you are done just remove all
tabs :)