RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] moving API from LGPL to GPL???

From: Alex Borges
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] moving API from LGPL to GPL???
Date: 27 Aug 2003 15:35:01 -0500

> > i recall someone sugesting this some time ago and it being
> > properly and completely shot down.  the API needs to remain LGPL.
>
> 100% ACK.
> I hope there is at least a consensus about this point within the project.

Well.... I know i should just shut up.....

I agree to the api remaining LGPL, i think the FSF and DotGNU has no
problem with that. But some of the developers want to switch the LGPL'd
stuff to GPL.

Anyone here. EVERYBODY can do that. There is a provission  in the LGPL
which explicitly allows you to switch the library to GPL.

Now its a matter of SHOULD. As in SHOULD the developers (actual holders
of some of the API code, though not all) do this change, or SHOULD we,
people that hold no copyright in the API have a right to actually try
and stop them.

Now. My opinion, publicly available here is that the api should be LGPL
because its been intended for use from proprietary apps since the
begining.

Some may not like that, i just dont care, i dont do proprietary apps,
only GPL apps.

Actually, from another standpoint, maybe the mantainer/owner should
decide that. She/He is the only one with an actual moral right to take
this decitions. What i do think is that setting as POLICY that all LGPL
code will be relicenced GPL if it is to touch the phpgwapi directory
(which only involves changing the header of the file), is a sterile
gesture that only limits some of the contributor's projects (NOT MINE)
with the api in a psicologicall sense. Lets face it, the API is useless
if its not provided as a whole. Some files are GPL (all the new
addressbook/contact's backend are GPL), some are LGPL (VFS for example),
but little can you do without one or the other. So, in effect, most of
the time, most people will not be able to link juicy stuff in the api
with proprietary apps.
Why dont we skip policy and let the original developers wishes as to the
use of their software stand, file by file. We would shurely avoid a very
unconfortable conversation and the project wouldnt be exposing itself to
the kind of misuse that the proposers of the said messure (switch
LGPL->GPL) are trying to protect it from anyway.

lex: Lex, i told you to shut up
lex: you shut up
lex: no you shut up
/me leaves the room