Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] setup in head

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] setup in head
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:43:58 +1000

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 00:25, Philipp Kamps wrote:
> Hi ya'll,
>
> I had a look the setup routine of the os project gallery
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery/): very fancy.
>
> I propose we add some more install steps to our setup
> routine in HEAD.

I agree, but gallery has 12 tabs, that is over kill imho.

Also think we need better stage detection in setup.  I think these
should be the steps ....

1 Requirements Detection - if it fails the setup stops
  * Check installed modules
  * Check basic php config options
  * Generate a .htaccess or suggested apache config - if required

2 Install configuration
  * Part of what is now "manage header"

3 Domain Management
  * The basic domain configuration which is currently in manage header

4 Domain Configuration
  * This is the current setup/config control
  * This would be reorganized and simplified
  * The admin module would also need to be re organized
  * This stage would be very simple
  * Just the basic information required to login to phpgw

5 Domain Tools
  * User Management
    - using the same code as user/group admin
    - the current ldap tools
  * Language Management
    - select available languages
    - maybe include language packs on phpgroupware.org for download
    - or online updating from a db on phpgw.org

Reworked admin
The current admin options for phpgw has also got out of control.

We really need to break it up into smaller chunks.  We should also make
sure that we use simple defaults.  One option would be to have the basic
view, and an advanced option, which allows an admin to change things
which aren't normally needed to be changed.

> The accounts/groups handling could be a separated step
> where the user can choose between LDAP and SQL with all
> needed extra preferences; or where the user may create
> an admin account or import accounts/groups from other
> repositories like SQL, LDAP, Exchange.

Yes, I think this is good, see Domain Tools above :)

> The configuration form in setup is getting too big and
> contains complete different topics to configure.

Yep.  To most of us it seems ok, cos we have used it so many times, but
for a new user it is a little daunting.

Time to discuss people :)

> Cheers, fips

Dave Hall