Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] null return values in sql_entity

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] null return values in sql_entity
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:57:09 -0500

Dirk Schaller wrote:

Hi guys,

does anyone knows the background why any functions of the sql_entity class
return null?
A return result of null is not feasible for error handling.

See function dekete:

        switch($action)
        {
        case PHPGW_SQL_RETURN_RECORDS:
        case PHPGW_SQL_RUN_SQL:
                $GLOBALS['phpgw']->db->query($sql, __LINE__, __FILE__);
                return;
        case PHPGW_SQL_RETURN_SQL:
                return $sql;
        }

The PHPGW_SQL_RUN_SQL case should be something like:
        return $GLOBALS['phpgw']->db->query($sql, __LINE__, __FILE__);

A true or false return values or the number of effected rows is better than
null.
What do you thing about? Could it be realized in a next version?

I think it should. Returning return; is ugly, dull and error prone. I think the rationale was that there is an assertions class that further forward in the system can check for isnull ... so... in any case, there isnt much to change anyhow.

greetings
Dirk