RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Managing changes (was: PHPDocs for head)

From: Mailings - Christian Boettger
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Managing changes (was: PHPDocs for head)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:28:25 +0200

Hi,

> but then the developer commits the code s/he has been working
> on for those months which is so different that most of your
> "fix" gets wiped out anyway.

Well, perhaps it's a good habit - especially when working on an app for
months - to a) have an eye on the cvs commit mailing list to see whether
anything has been committed to that app in the meantime and b) do a "cvs up"
from time to time and definitely before any "cvs  co" to actually take
advantage of those changes and fixes.

That's the whole purpose of CVS that more than one person can actually work
simultaneously on the same code. If we skip that, we do not need CVS at all.
Otherwise you can better use things like M$ VSS which uses exclusive
checkouts; i.e.: as soon as one dev has checked out a file, noone can commit
to it any more until the first one has released it again.

Regards

bofh42