[phpGroupWare-developers] Better integrate with distributions packages (

From: Olivier Berger (old address)
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] Better integrate with distributions packages (read Debian...)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:35:59 +0200

Hi.

I think we have discussed that face-to-face at the phpgw conf in Paris
last year...

As you may now we are developping some Debian packages for phpgw-based
apps for Picoforge (picoforge.org).

In this frame, we have thought of basic ways to integrate debconf
scripts which handle applications parameterization in the Debian
environment, and phpGroupware setup/

Basically, Picoforge requires some typical phpgw configuration, for
instance for storing users/groups in LDAP, and we don't want the user to
go through the whole setup/ typing of LDAP DNs etc.

The packages postinst scripts will deduce proper values (from other
applications like LDAP server debconf settings), store them in some
file, and later on, at phpgw app installation, the defaults_records will
load these in phpgw_config...

I'm thinking of trying to establish some better way to do that... so I
welcome any comments/advices.

Have any of you thought to this problematics and trying and have some
"automatic installation" system for phpgw, which would get its conf
values from some static file-based system, rather than web dialogs ?

The most interesting part would be handling the re-configuration (read
dpkg-reconfigure) part and the impact on installed apps in phpgw, and
funny ideas like that.

I welcome any thoughts ;)

Best regards,

P.S.: this is more or less linked to my previous question (moderated)
about setup/ vs. admin/ for config settings