Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Proposal for method of using application-r

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Proposal for method of using application-related translation
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:00:32 +1100

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 15:46 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> Dave Hall wrote:
> > As I have explained to you in the past the translation policy is the
> > following:
> >
> > * if it is module specific it goes in the module lang file
> > * if it is used in a common area such as admin, preferences, navbar (and
> > now anywhere in the menu) it goes in common
>
> Why can't items from the menu go into the module lang file ?

They do go into the module lang file.

Here is a quick 4 line example of what can be found in the module lang
file (I chose calendar as it is one I maintain).

calendar/setup/phpgw_en.lang
calendar        common  en      Calendar
calendar - add  calendar        en      Calendar - Add
calendar - edit calendar        en      Calendar - Edit
[...]
custom fields and sorting       common  en      Custom fields and sorting

> My perception of loading all into common - is that it will constraint
> all later development of applications to come - 'cause one have to
> check whether
> the message_ids already are used in any of the other applications.

It isn't an issue which has come up in the past.  I think you will find
that the phrases used in common are pretty generic.

OT: I think some consolidation of the lang files is needed.  There is a
lot of stuff which really should be in phpgwapi/setup/phpgw_*.lang as
common instead of in 5+ lang files as module specific.

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator
phpGroupWare
e address@hidden
w phpgroupware.org
j address@hidden
sip address@hidden
|_|         |_|                         |_|Web based collaboration platform