Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Identifying apps stati - Was: Re: Stat

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Identifying apps stati - Was: Re: Status of the Debian packaging of phpGroupware
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:24:52 +0100

Le vendredi 22 février 2008 à 03:25 -0700, Sigurd Nes a écrit :

> Quote:
> > One consequence is that we may base the packaging on two different set
> > of source packages, : phpgroupware-core and phpgroupware-groupware-apps
> > (or any other name meaning : addressbook, calendar, notes, and email)
> > maybe, in which we woud have splitted your sources. This would help
> > manage the security fix releases on one of each packages independently,
> > maybe.
>

> Does this mean that other apps will be excluded from the packaging?
>
> Regards

Yes, maybe.

We envision collaborative maintainance of the debian packages if that's
possible (sharing efforts, etc.), to avoid all of phpgroupware packages
to rely on one person's efforts only... and as volunteers are alread too
much involved in so many more important things, we should probably
devise the packaging scheme so that each volunteer's work is as minimal
as possible.

So the priority would be on those core apps first... but then anybody
could volunteer and manage additional packaging, even unofficial
packaging maybe, which wouldn't be in Debian, but available somewhere
else (including from phpgw.org).

If you volunteer as co-maintaner for additional apps in Debian, you'll
be very much welcome of course ;)

That said, it remains to be seen how a collaborative packaging can be
more efficient than in standalone mode... people may not share
architectural packaging conceptions, nor know or trust each-other
enough, and so on.
Christian and I have some prior joint co-ordination on PicoForge, so
there's some hope that we can work together (also we share the same
office at Institut TELECOM) ;)
I assume that anybody but us could also volunteer to takover on phpgw
packaging, of course : we have no other privilege than standing up and
filing an ITP...

And of course all the things I'm describing are purely virtual since we
still have to produce packages (I'm working on that atm), and have them
sponsored by Debian developpers so that they can enter Debian again, and
that may not be a smooth process, considering phpgroupware packaging was
problematic in the past, and we have no serious track-record in Debian.
But I'm fairly optimistic, of course ;)

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <address@hidden> (*NEW ADDRESS*)